top of page
  • Nail on the Head

What Documents Do I Need for my NYC Gut Renovation?

Planning a major gut renovation in NYC? Before starting your home renovation project, it's a good idea to consult with your contractor and architect to ensure that you have all the necessary documents and permits in place. Failure to obtain proper permits and approvals can result in delays, complications, and even fines. View our checklist below and make sure you have these key documents:

Building Permits: Don't start without them. Most renovation projects in NYC require a building permit issued by the NYC Department of Buildings (DOB). The permit ensures that your project complies with building codes and zoning regulations. Check local regulations and secure necessary permits for your project.

Insurance: Protect yourself and your property. Ensure you have adequate insurance coverage for the duration of the renovation.

Contractor Agreements: A written contract between you and your contractor should clearly outline the scope of work and responsibilities, project timeline, costs and payment schedule, warranties, and dispute resolution procedures. Get everything in writing, and be sure to review the contract carefully and ensure that both parties sign it before work begins.

Architectural Plans: Detailed architectural plans prepared by a licensed architect or design professional are necessary for obtaining a building permit. These plans outline the scope of work, structural changes, electrical and plumbing layouts, and other important details of the renovation.

Certificates of Insurance: Your contractor should provide a certificate of insurance demonstrating that they have liability insurance and workers' compensation coverage. This protects you from liability in case of accidents or property damage during the renovation.

Lien Waivers: Protect against liens. Obtain lien waivers from contractors and subcontractors upon completion of their work.

If Applicable:

Historical Preservation Approval: If your property is located in a historic district or has landmark status, you may need approval from the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission for exterior renovations or alterations that affect the building's historic character.

Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing (MEP) Plans: Detailed MEP plans may be required for projects involving significant changes to electrical, plumbing, or mechanical systems. These plans ensure compliance with building codes and safety standards.

Certificate of Occupancy (CO) Updates: Certain renovations may require updates to the Certificate of Occupancy (CO) for your property. This typically applies to changes in the use or occupancy of the space, such as converting a basement into a living area.

Co-op or Condo Board Approval: If you're renovating a co-op, condo, or rental property, you may need approval from your landlord or building management before starting the renovation. Review your lease agreement or building rules to determine the requirements for obtaining approval.

Having these documents in order will streamline your NYC renovation process and help prevent potential issues down the line.

0 views0 comments


bottom of page